Yemeni forces kill 3 Al Qaeda members
Three suspected al Qaeda members have been killed by Yemeni forces following an assault in the country's Shabwa province on Monday. Al-Qaeda commander Zayed al-Daghari is among the dead, said Yemen's Ministry of Defense.
Al Qaeda is increasingly focusing their efforts on government targets as a response to Yemen's acquiescence to U.S. security interests. This was the fourth assault on a state entity since June, and international powers fear that the militant group is taking advantage of instability in the region.
Violence also resumed between Shi'ite rebels and a pro-government tribe. Six rebels were killed just 24 hours after a truce was resolved, putting an end to nearly a week of renewed fighting between the two factions which left about 70 people dead.
The militants arrived in an armed SUV on Sunday and opened fire with machine guns at a checkpoint near a foreign company's oil field. The insurgents escaped before additional troops and soldiers could arrive on the scene.
The rebel attack was a response to tribal chief Sheikh Saghir Ibn Aziz's refusal to surrender a position in Al Zaala to the army; pulling out from the area was a rebel condition for the truce.
President Ali Abdullah Saleh had earlier said he did not want to instigate further clashes with the northern rebels, known as Huthi.
"Six wars are enough. Yes to security, stability and peace in Saada. No to the latest war," Saleh said a television interview.