Zahar supports building mosque near ground zero
A Hamas leader on Monday said Muslims "have to build" a mosque near ground zero. Mahmoud al-Zahar said Muslims "have to build everywhere" so that followers can pray, just like Christians and Jews build their places of worship.
"In every area we have, [as] Muslim[s], we have to pray, and this mosque is the only site of prayer," he said. "We have to build the mosque, as you are allowed to build the church and Israelis are building their holy places."
According to the AP, the mosque is a project of the Cordoba Initiative, an advocacy group that promotes improved relations between Islam and the West.
- Israeli Police Ban Jewish Extremists from Celebration on Monday at Aqsa Mosque Compound
- Jerusalem Mufti Decrees all of Holy Jerusalem Mount Islamic
- Israeli Police Seal off Jerusalem Mosque Compound after Jews, Muslims Clash
- Minister of Awqaf Inaugurates Hamza Tantash Mosque at Raghadan Tourist Complex
- Palestinians express concern as Israel starts demolishing works near Aqsa Mosque