Marriott International has announced the addition of six new properties to its Middle East/Africa pipeline of 37 previously-announced hotels. They represent three of Marriott’s lodging brands serving the luxury, upper-moderately priced and extended-stay travel segments.
Included is the first Residence Inn by Marriott-branded property for extended-stay travelers in the Middle East, which opens in suburban Manama, Bahrain later this year. When all 43 hotels now under development or construction open by 2016, Marriott International will offer consumers 74 hotels and resorts and more than 17,600 rooms across seven lodging brands in the Middle East and Africa.
“Despite recent economic and political uncertainties in the Middle East and the northern tier of Africa, our development opportunities in the region remain strong,” said Ed Fuller, president and managing director for international lodging. “These new hotels are expected to open over the next five years and will be perfectly positioned to help accommodate the nearly 90 million travelers that the World Travel and Tourism Council estimates will visit the region annually by 2016. Today, the Middle East welcomes approximately 68 million visitors each year.”
Mr. Fuller said that Marriott continues to aggressively explore attractive expansion opportunities in sub-Saharan Africa and expects to announce projects later this year in countries like South Africa, Mauritius, Tanzania, Angola, Nigeria and Benin. “The region has enormous tourism potential and we plan to play an important role in its development,” he said, adding that Marriott’s first two projects in sub-Saharan Africa are expected to open in Accra and Kigali next year.
Announced are the following hotels:
- 335-room Courtyard by Marriott Cairo Mirage City. The hotel is owned by Golf Hotels Corporation and is expected to open in 2012 as the first upper-moderately priced Courtyard by Marriott property in Egypt.
- 495-room The Ritz-Carlton Riyadh. Owned by The Ministry of Finance of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, this luxury hotel is scheduled to open in 2011 as the first Ritz-Carlton hotel in Saudi Arabia.
- 78-unit Residence Inn by Marriott Juffair in suburban Manama, Bahrain. Owned by International Trading and Investment Co., W.L.L., the property opens later this year as the first Residence Inn for extended-stay travelers in the Middle East.
- 120-room The Ritz-Carlton Rabat Hotel. Owned by Sienna Investment Group, this luxury hotel is expected to open in 2013.
- 247-room Courtyard by Marriott Algiers. Owned by Trust Real Estate SPA, this upper-moderately-priced property is scheduled to open in 2014 and will be the first Courtyard property in Algeria.
- 147-unit Residence Inn by Marriott Algiers. Owned by Trust Real Estate SPA, this property is expected to open in 2014 as the third Residence Inn in the region.
Marriott & Visa Partner to Offer Summer Travelers 20% Discount
Vice President Sales and Marketing Jeff Strachan announced that consumers this summer will be able to take advantage of an advanced purchase, 20 percent discount offer at all JW Marriott, Marriott, Renaissance and Courtyard branded hotels and resorts when they reserve their accommodations using a Visa credit card. The promotional rate will be bookable, subject to availability, for stays between June 17 and September 4, 2011. Reservations must be made at least seven days prior to arrival and are non-refundable.
JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai Previewed
The spectacular 1,614-room JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai is set to become one of the region’s most desirable destinations, offering a spectrum of business facilities for discerning travelers. Opening in 2012, its first 807 rooms will soar above Dubai’s business district, on Sheikh Zayed Road, and will reside in the city’s Business Bay area. Carrying a title bestowed only on the finest properties in the Marriott portfolio, the JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai will encompass two iconic towers and will feature an enticing array of 13 distinctive restaurants, bars and lounges; a luxurious Saray Spa; 4,015 square meters of conference and event space including two ballrooms and 22 breakout rooms; exclusive executive floors and six Presidential suites.
The Marriott International portfolio in the Middle East and Africa currently consists of 31 hotels and resorts in nine countries representing six lodging brands and offering 8,822 rooms.
New Soon-to-Open Renaissance, Courtyard & Marriott Executive
Apartment Properties Previewed
Previewed today were the 257-room Renaissance Doha City Center Hotel, the 204-room Courtyard by Marriott City Center Hotel and the 123-room Marriott Executive Apartments Doha City Center properties which are scheduled to open within weeks in the strategically located West Bay across Qatar Financial Centre and just 15 minutes from Doha International Airport. All three hotels will connect to the City Center Mall which features 300 stores plus many more attractions. The hotel complex will feature a luxurious Saray Spa, nine enticing restaurants and lounges and al fresco dining, more than 1,200 square meters of flexible, state-of-the-art event space.
The Marriott International portfolio in the Middle East & Africa currently consists of 31 hotels and resorts in nine countries representing six lodging brands and offering 8,822 rooms.