77 People Dead in Yemen from Rift Valley Fever
Some 77 people have died in Yemen in the last two days from Rift Valley fever, a health ministry official in Sanaa told AFP Wednesday.
"According to preliminary investigations, 50 people in the (western) Hudaida province and 27 people in the (northern) province of Hojja have been found dead from Rift Valley fever," the official said on condition of anonymity.
The official said that "50 percent of livestock had died in the Wadi More region (in Hudaida) because of the fever."
Seventeen people have died from the fever in Saudi Arabia, where it was first reported on September 11th in the Jizan province bordering Yemen.
They were the first reported cases of the disease outside Africa -- SANAA (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- FAO: Cross-Border Movements Leading to Upsurge in Animal Diseases in Iran
- Yemen: Over 40 dead, scores wounded in stampede during election rally
- Typhoid Cases Detected in Northern Morocco
- Rift Valley Fever Death Toll Rises to More than 90 in Yemen
- Health Ministry: 27 Dead from Rift Valley Fever in Saudi Arabia