83 Suspects Referred to Prosecution After Anti-Israeli Demo in Jordan
Jordanian authorities on Tuesday referred to prosecutors the cases of 83 people accused of "sabotage" during recent anti-Israeli protests.
Most of the suspects were rounded up in the Baqaa Palestinian refugee camp north of Amman following violent clashes with anti-riot police on October 6, a source close to the prosecutor's office said.
An 18-year-old camp resident was killed while police tried to quell the protest.
Authorities said the man died during a settling of accounts between rival factions within the camp, and accused protestors of indulging in "a series of acts of sabotage" in Baqaa and other areas of Amman.
A military prosecutor is expected to begin interrogating the suspects later Tuesday.
Meanwhile Al-Dustour newspaper said authorities also supplied prosecutors with video footage taped by Jordanian security agents showing "proof" protestors were involved in acts of sabotage, including arson.
Last week, Interior Minister Awad Khleifat said 63 policemen were wounded in separate clashes with protestors during two weeks of anti-Israeli demonstrations in Jordan -- AMMAN (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Interior Ministry: 63 Jordanian Police Hurt in Clashes with Demonstrators
- Jordanian Police Crack Down on Students’ Anti-Israel Rally
- Hundreds of Islamists Demonstrate Demanding Release of Detainees
- Jordan’s Security Says Baqaa Youngster was Killed for ‘Internal Disputes’
- Youngster Killed by Jordanian Police during Protest at Refugee Camp