Abbas: No talks with Israel until attacks on Gaza stop
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said Wednesday he would not resume peace talks until Israel stops its attacks on the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip. Abbas suspended U.S.-backed peace talks earlier this week to protest Israel's crackdown in Gaza.
"The negotiations must be started, but after the truce," Abbas said. "Once the truce is achieved, the road will be open for negotiations." According to the AP,
he said the visiting Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, told him she would send an envoy to Egypt, which often mediates between Israel and Hamas. "There are real efforts being exerted by Egypt for the truce," Abbas said.
Abbas' aides clarified later Hamas must be part of any deal. According to them, Abbas has proposed a package in which Hamas will halt its rocket barrages on southern Israel if Israel agrees to end its attacks on Palestinians and Egypt reopens its border with Gaza Strip.
- Sharon cuts contacts with Abbas following Gaza Strip attack
- Palestinians Freeze Security Meetings Until Israel Stops Assassinations, Kidnappings
- Egypt’s Sinai attacks delayed peace talks: PA official
- Palestinian president: Peace talks with Israel must continue
- PA to suspend peace talks as Hamas talks about ”real Holocaust” in Gaza