Abbas orders to stop attacks against Israel
Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas ordered his security forces Monday to make efforts to prevent attacks against Israel and to investigate a bombing attack at a Gaza Strip crossing that killed six Israelis last Thursday.
A Hamas spokesman said movement would continue carrying out attacks.
Israel suspended ties with Abbas in response to last week's "Karni" crossing attack and ordered its army Sunday to do whatever was needed to stop Palestinian attacks.
But Israel decided not to launch a major offensive in the Strip to give Abbas more time to act, a senior government official said Monday, according to The AP.
In a Palestinian Cabinet meeting Monday, Abbas instructed the security forces to try to prevent attacks against Israel. "A decision was taken that we will handle our obligation to stop violence against Israelis anywhere," Cabinet minister Saeb Erekat said.
On his part, Hamas spokesman in the Gaza Strip Mushir al-Masri said the group would not comply with the new orders. "We consider resistance as a red line, and no one is allowed to cross this line," al-Masri said.
On Monday, the Islamic Jihad group sent two fighters into a zone near the border fence between Gaza Strip and Israel, and Israeli troops killed one of them. The second was killed later in a shootout, the Israeli army said.