Abed Rabbo: Statehood without Sovereignty over Land ‘Premature’
Palestinian information minister Yasser Abed Rabbo said Tuesday it would be "premature" to declare a Palestinian state without sovereignty over the West Bank, Gaza Strip and east Jerusalem.
"We will take measures to implement this symbolic step when our sovereignty is complete over all Palestinian territories in the West Bank, Gaza Strip and east Jerusalem, all the territories occupied June 5, 1967," Abed Rabbo told reporters in Gaza City.
"When we have full sovereignty over all these territories, we will declare our own independent state. Before that I think it is premature and there is no necessity to take such a step," he added.
Abed Rabbo nevertheless said that the Palestine Liberation Organization’s Central Committee would meet within two weeks to discuss the statehood issue -- GAZA CITY (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Arafat Says Statehood ‘Very Close’
- Zaanun: Palestinians will declare independent state on New Year's Eve
- Palestinian Minister Demands Withdrawal of Israeli Army from Jerusalem
- PA central election committee convened without Gaza Strip members
- Senior Palestinian official says Arafat's government contemplating declaring a state