Abu Dhabi University Launches a Masters of Engineering Management
The first group of Engineering Management students has enrolled in Abu Dhabi University’s latest Masters Program. ADU launched the program in strategic collaboration with Purdue University. The program is considered to be the first program launched by an institution of higher education in UAE. The program aims at producing graduates who are specialized in research in Engineering Management, who will benefit from the academic and applied research experience on offer at the Business Administration College of Purdue University.
Dr. Nabil Ibrahim, ADU’s Chancellor, has confirmed that the Engineering Management program is accredited by the Academic Accreditation Committee and by the Ministry of Higher Education in the UAE. He made special mention of the importance of this program which is the first to be launched outside the USA by Purdue University. Purdue University has launched the program within an academic collaboration agreement with ADU. The MEM program offers its students unique opportunities for advanced education in the field of engineering management as well as opportunities for leadership growth at personal and professional level along with developing their skills in the field of Engineering Management. This program is an alternative to an MBA offered to engineers who are looking to improve their engineering education while acquiring business and management skills.
The program aims at producing graduates who can make responsible engineering and business decisions; have the knowledge and skills necessary for planning and strategic management of organizations; have the ability to use principles of engineering and management in the modeling, design, and management of complex systems; and are capable of using quality standards to assess the quality of engineering systems.
Dr. Aly Nazmy, Dean of the Engineering and Computer Science College at ADU, stated that the launch of this program is a unique academic initiative which aims at contributing to the enhancement of industry development in Abu Dhabi. The MEM program is essential as the UAE economy seeks for more effective and efficient industry solutions. Well developed and fine-tuned engineering management skills are going to be needed to enable the country to attract and retain highly qualified international and local engineers.
This program has been introduced at ADU in response to the UAE market’s needs where engineering is driving all sectors of the industry and where managerial engineering positions are crucial to UAE firms. The graduates of this program will train Emirati and expatriate professionals to lead and manage projects in the UAE’s engineering-based industries.
The program consists of 12 courses (36 credit hours), 7 of which are engineering courses and 5 which are business courses. Students can also do a thesis in lieu of 2 elective courses. The new program accepts students with a Bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science or IT. For the MEM program, the admission requirements are:
1. A Bachelor’s Degree recognized by the UAE Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research in an Engineering or a Computer Science discipline.
2. An official transcript from an accredited university, college or institute.
3. An original certificate with one of the following minimum scores: TOEFL iBT – 79, Institutional TOEFL (held at ADU only) – 550, or Academic IELTS – 6
- “Al-Resalah TV” Launches “Al-Forsan Program” to select cleverest students of both genders to award them with free scholarships to study Medicine in “
- College of Engineering and Computer Science at Abu Dhabi University to launch new Bachelor programs
- NBAD Academy and Zayed University offer Master’s degree in Finance
- Abu Dhabi University participates at IDEX 2011 to present its portfolio of Bachelor and Masters programmes
- ALHOSN University holds UAE’s “First Annual Women in Engineering Event” under the theme “The Role of Women in Civil Engineering”