Advanced Israeli spy satellite explodes during failed launch attempt
An Israeli attempt to launch the Ofek 6 spy satellite failed Monday, after a malfunction in the third phase of the Shavit satellite launcher.
According to Haaretz daily, as a result of the malfunction, the satellite crashed into the sea and was completely destroyed.
Israeli sources said the failure was seen as a serious setback for Israel, which had hoped that the Ofek 6 would help Israel to get warnings in case of a missile attack. The satellite was also meant to provide real-time information on Iran's missile program.
The satellite exploded soon after launch, but no injuries were reported on the ground, military officials said. (albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Report: Israeli spy satellite shows pictures of Army Chief’s childhood neighborhood in Tehran
- Israel's Army Plans to Launch Ofek 5 Spy Satellite
- Car Bomb Explodes Near Netanya, Israeli Helicopter Gunships Shell Ramallah
- The coup attempt that started a war: Israel’s invasion of Lebanon, its causes and consequences
- Sharon Prepared to Give Palestinians Armless State over 42 percent of Territories, Guarded by Israel