Egypt's Shafiq hits back at Morsi, claims protestor beatings were pre-planned
Egypt's former presidential Candidate Ahmed Shafiq told Al Arabiya TV in an interview on Sunday that the infamous dragging and beating of a naked old man near the presidential palace last week was previously planned by the interior ministry to terrorize the people.
Shafiq, who lost the presidential race to Islamist President Mohammed Morsi in a bitterly contested election last year, said the torture of the old man --featured in a widely circulated video -- was meant to send a message of fear to the young men and women protesting in the streets against what they described as a brutal rule of the Muslim Brotherhood.
Shafiq said such torture of the old man was a “new style of exaggerated terrorism used against the Egyptian citizens that will lead only to violence and hatred of the regime.”
Shafiq added that the “current regime is finished,” stressing that the “rigging of the presidential election” will not be let go. “It will not pass easily because they are caught with the wrong person.”
The former senior commander in the Egyptian Air Force and who later served as Hosni Mubarak's prime minister claimed that Muslim Brotherhood used to strike deals with the old regime. He explained that the Islamist movement had agreed not to not to exceed more than 45 members in the parliament.
Shafiq said he always called for increased representation of the Brotherhood in the parliament, but that the Islamist movement chose to keep a low profile, strike deal with the Mubarak’s regime in private and claim to be repressed in public.
- A Warning Sign: Cleric's fatwa risks dragging Egypt back to the darkness
- Religious rule in Egypt is over, says Ahmed Shafiq
- HRW calls Mubarak to investigate police brutality against peaceful protestors
- Is this the end for Morsi? A breakdown of Egypt's June 30 protest
- A year in review: Egypt’s most bizarre news of 2014