Aide says Sharon warned Libya could become first Arab nuclear power
Israel's Prime Minister Ariel Sharon warned that Libya could become the first Arab nuclear power, one of his close aides said Tuesday.
"Sharon said that Libya is pursuing its efforts to acquire weapons of mass destruction and could become in the medium to long term the first Arab country to have nuclear weapons, with the help of Pakistan and North Korea" the official said, requesting anonymity.
The source, cited by AFP said Sharon made his comments to some seventy ambassadors he had invited to his Jerusalem residence Monday night to mark the Jewish Sukkot holiday. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Sharon: Israel concerned about Libya efforts to acquire nuclear weapons; Tripoli: Sharon suffers from '\'hysteria'\'
- U.S. not informed Israel regarding secret talks with Libya
- Sharon: Iraq transferred chemical and biological weapons to Syria; Damascus denies
- Sharon vows to keep ''ambiguity policy'' on nuclear issues as ElBaradei starts Israel visit
- ElBaradei: Sharon links arms-control talks to progress in peace negotiations