Jailed Al Jazeera journalists in Egypt appeal sentences
Peter Greste (left) and Egyptian journalist Baher Mohamed were controversially given seven-year jail sentences for allegedly reporting misinformation during Egypt's unrest (File/AFP)
Click here to add Al Jazeera English as an alert
Disable alert for Al Jazeera English,
Click here to add Baher Mohamed as an alert
Disable alert for Baher Mohamed,
Click here to add Cairo as an alert
Disable alert for Cairo,
Click here to add Doha as an alert
Disable alert for Doha,
Click here to add Mohamed Fahmy as an alert
Disable alert for Mohamed Fahmy,
Click here to add Mostafa Nagy as an alert
Disable alert for Mostafa Nagy,
Click here to add Muslim Brotherhood as an alert
Disable alert for Muslim Brotherhood,
Click here to add Peter Greste as an alert
Disable alert for Peter Greste,
Click here to add UN Court as an alert
Disable alert for UN Court
The defence lawyer for two Al Jazeera journalists has appealed their seven-year jail sentences.
Mostafa Nagy, lawyer for Baher Mohamed and Peter Greste, told Ahram Online that he had submitted an appeal on Wednesday to Cairo's appeal court.
"Professionally speaking I cannot talk about the reasons behind the appeal, as it is in front of the court now," said Nagy.
He then added that all their procedures were legal and that they had submitted all the appeal papers on time.
Ahram Online could not reach lawyers for the third defendant, Mohamed Fahmy, to verify whether or not he has also submitted an appeal.
Nagy explained that the appeal court has to specify a session to announce whether or not they have accepted the appeal.
If the appeals succeed, the defendants will face a retrial.
Fahmy, an Egyptian-Canadian, said last month in a letter from prison that he was hesitant about filling an appeal against his seven-year jail sentence.
Bureau chief of Doha-based Al Jazeera English, Fahmy was arrested in December of last year along with two journalists working for the same network, Australian Peter Greste and Egyptian producer Baher Mohamed.
The three were tried along with 17 others on charges of fabricating news falsely portraying Egypt as being in a state of "civil war," as well as aiding or joining the banned Muslim Brotherhood. Baher Mohamed was handed an extra three-year term for his possession of a spent bullet.
The reasoning for the verdict was announced in July, a month after the verdict. The 57-page document stated that the three defendants were brought together "by the devil" to destabilise the country, AP reported.
The case, which began on 20 February and spanned over 12 hearings, has provoked fears about the future of media freedom and the muzzling of political dissent in Egypt. Local and global rights watchdogs, as well as international news organisations, have repeatedly called for the release of the detained journalists.
Al Jazeera has repeatedly dismissed the charges against its journalists and called for their immediate release.
- Three al-Jazeera journalists sentenced to 7 years in jail
- Al Jazeera appeals for journalists' release in Egypt
- Egypt court to hear Al-Jazeera journalists' appeal
- Eman Baher Darwish sentenced to a three-year prison term
- Five main reasons Al Jazeera journalist Fahmy is suing the network after his Egypt arrest