Al Qaeda confirms West Bank presence
The announcement supports an Israeli report released last week that linked the men to the terror organization, thus confirming long-felt fears that Al Qaeda has established a presence in the Palestinian territory.
According to a post by Majles Shura al-Mujahideen or the Holy Warriors' Assembly, an Islamist web forum, "By the will of God Almighty, the global jihadi doctrine has reached the bank of pride, the West Bank, planting its foothold after all attempts to thwart its presence."
The Majles Shura al-Mujahideen's statement also threatened to conduct attacks on Israel and the Palestinian Authority (PA) if peacemaking efforts between the two countries continued.
Analysts say that Al Qaeda had previously struggled to establish a West Bank presence, with the PA particularly denying any Al Qaeda presence in the territory.
The PA security forces spokesman Adnan Damiri continued to denounce allegations of Al Qaeda presence, saying that investigators were still looking into the killing Tuesday.
According to Israeli reports, troops killed the three men in the West Bank after they opened fire on the security personnel.
- Abbas: ”Signs” of al-Qaeda presence in Gaza Strip and West Bank
- Report: IDF killed a record number of Palestinians in the West Bank in 2013
- Palestinian killed in Gaza Strip; Arafat demands Bin Laden to stop exploiting the Palestinian cause
- Palestinian blows himself up in West Bank, Israeli fire wounds Palestinian in Gaza Strip
- West Bank: Two Israeli soldiers, Palestinian policeman wounded