Algeria needs additional midwifes
While the World Health Organization asserted that there should be one midwife per every 900 women, in Algeria there is one midwife per more than 3,000 women. Thus, every midwife in Algeria is taking care of 10 births daily, according to Mrs. Varuj, the chairman of the Algerian Association for Midwifes, reported the July 3 edition of <i>Al-Khabar</i> newspaper.
The insufficient number of midwifes is one of the reasons for the large number of death among woman giving birth and their babies in Algeria, as there are 30,000 death cases annually.
The founding association of the Algerian midwifes association was held Saturday in Riyadh hotel in Sidy Faraj. The Association aims to raise the status of this profession and to organize the work of the 9,000 midwifes operating in this sector.
- Algeria ranked 107 in terms of women participation in parliament
- 6.5 million women unemployed in Algeria
- Conference on impact of EU-Algeria Association Agreement on sugar market
- No facilities for Algerian mentally ill people
- Chairman of Council of Federation of Russian Federal Assembly to visit in Algeria