American official: Despite sanctions US keen to develop contacts with Syria
US Assistant Secretary for Near East Affairs William Burns on Monday said that the Bush administration was keen to develop relations with Syria in order to have the correct ties in the future.
He stressed that imposing sanctions on Syria did not mean a US bid to cut contacts the two countries.
In a statement on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum meeting published by the Jordanian newspaper Al-Rai, Burns added that the American administration and the Senate are willing to open contact channels with Damascus.
He pointed out to the immediate American desire to establsih a base for cooperation with Syria over some issues, mainly regarding Iraq. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Syria wants dialogue with US
- Reports: Growing regional tensions following Yassin killing may delay Bush announcement on Syria sanctions
- Nasrallah condemns US sanctions on Syria
- Bush extends American sanctions against Syria
- Information Minister: Syria to continue dialogue with US following sanctions move