Annan: Israel should respect ICJ ruling on wall
UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan on Sunday called on Israel to respect the ruling of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) that the wall being erected by Israel along the West Bank is illegal and should be demolished.
"I think the decision of the court is clear," Annan told reporters. "While we accept that the government of Israel has a responsibility and duty to protect its citizens, any action it takes has to be in conformity with international law and has to respect the interests of the Palestinians," Annan conveyed.
"Israel, as an occupying power, is responsible for the welfare of the Palestinian people, the UN head stated.
"The ICJ report will have to be given to the UN General Assembly and we will see where it goes form there. I don't want to prejudge what they decide," Annan told reporters in Bangkok. (albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Annan to prepare report about Jenin refugee camp
- Annan Asks UN Assembly for Conciliatory Message on Middle East Crisis
- Annan Says Arafat Committed to Ending Violence
- Israel vows to continue building West Bank wall, despite UN resolution
- Palestinian die in W. Bank as Annan dismisses Israeli claims on Gaza beach massacre