Egypt's Anti-Coup Alliance to boycott presidential election
Egypt’s Anti-Coup Alliance says it will boycott the upcoming presidential election in the country, Press TV reports.
The coalition, which includes the Muslim Brotherhood, said the decision was made on the ground of what it calls illegitimate ouster of Mohamed Morsi, the first democratically elected president of Egypt who was overthrown in July 2013.
Magdi Qorqor, a spokesman for the alliance, has said the coalition opposes the election since the polls are the result of an “illegal political process.”
The election “is built on a wrong foundation, namely the July 3 coup,” Qorqor added.
On March 30, Egypt’s electoral commission announced that the first round of the presidential poll is scheduled for May 26-27 with results expected by June 5.
Last week, the country’s former army chief Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, who led the overthrow of Morsi, announced his resignation as defense minister in order to run for presidency.
The only other main candidate is leftwing politician Hamdeen Sabbahi, who came third in the 2012 election that Morsi won.
Egypt has become the scene of violent demonstrations in protest against Sisi’s new decision.
State institutions and media are all geared toward Sisi’s candidacy, a situation which undermines the chances of a fair competition for any other candidate.
Political parties and figures have repeatedly called on the army to stay out of politics.
Sisi is accused of leading a severe crackdown against supporters of Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood.