Arab columnist: Gadhafi should be removed
Moammar Gadhafi should either resign or be removed from power because he has "ruined Libya," a respected Arabic daily columnist wrote Friday.
Jihad al-Khazen compared the Libyan ruler to ousted Iraqi president Saddam Hussein, saying both had equivalent "evil intentions."
His column was published in Al Hayat newspaper on Friday, a day after US press reports claimed that Gadhafi had plotted to assassinate the Saudi crown prince.
"If Moammar Gadhafi committed fewer crimes than Saddam Hussein, it is because Libya is smaller and weaker," al-Khazen wrote. "Moammar Gadhafi was never fit to control Libya."
"Either he leaves willingly or (he should) be ousted, because this man has ruined Libya, squandered its wealth, instigated well-known terrorist operations, and is still supporting terrorism as shown by his plotting against Crown Prince Abdullah," al-Khazen said. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Libya opposition calls for Gadhafi removal
- Report: Gadhafi ordered to assassinate Saudi Crown Prince
- Rumsfeld: Gadhafi avoided similar fate of Saddam
- Jordanian lawyers wishing to represent Saddam plan to meet Gadhafi daughter
- Saudi newspaper calls to overthrow Gadhafi, Libya recalls ambassador to Riyadh