Arab Foreign Ministers Meet in Cairo, Call To Stop Israeli Raids, Discuss Saudi Peace Proposal
Arab foreign ministers meeting in Cairo issued an urgent call to the international community to intervene to stop Israeli attacks against Palestinians. The ministers are meeting in Cairo on Saturday to discuss Saudi proposals for Middle East peace.
Speaking hours before the formal opening of the talks, the Saudi foreign minister said the initiative built on United Nations resolutions about the Arab-Israeli conflict and on established Arab stances.
On Friday, a tripartite Syrian-Egyptian-Saudi meeting was held in Cairo to discuss the Saudi proposal. It was attended by Syria’s Foreign Minister Faruq al-Shar'a, Saudi Foreign Minister Sa'ud al-Faysal and Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmad Maher.
Meanwhile, Nabil Sha'th, Palestinian minister of planning and international cooperation, has said that Saudi initiative would be put into writing for the first time in Cairo. Sha'th said it will be presented Saturday to the Arab Action and Follow-up Committee, which comprises the foreign ministers of 10 Arab countries.
For his part, Secretary General of the Arab League Amr Mousa said in Cairo on Friday evening that the consultative meeting of the Arab foreign ministers was briefed by prince Saud Al-Faisal, the Saudi foreign minister, on the proposals of Crown Prince Abdullah pertaining to the peace process in the middle east.
In a press statement following the consultative meeting, Mousa said that the proposals of Abdullah would be on the agenda of the Arab summit, due to be held in Beirut later this month. "The proposals are based on the inalienable stance of the Arabs as well as the international resolutions including resolutions pertaining to all Palestinian rights," Mousa elaborated. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Arab Foreign Ministers Meet in Cairo to Discuss Palestinian Issue; Syrian, Lebanese Foreign Ministers Boycott
- Arab Foreign Ministers End Meeting Sunday; Report: Saudi Crown Prince Removed Word “Normalization” From Peace Proposal
- Arab foreign ministers end meeting in Cairo, call to avert war against Iraq
- Arab foreign ministers to meet in Cairo; Saudi CP to hold talks with Egyptian leadership
- Syrian-Egyptian summit to discuss Israeli threats held in Damascus