Arab League to arm Syrian opposition
Currently, the diplomatic efforts regarding the growing crisis in Syria focus on the development of the idea of Arab – U.N. force as proposed by the Arab Ministerial Council. According to Arab sources, the parties wait for discussion and approval of the Arab draft resolution at the General Assembly of the United Nations. This is scheduled to happen before this weekend.
Meanwhile, Al Hayat newspaper quoted diplomatic sources as saying that arming the Syrian opposition is now officially an option for the Arab League following the recent decision by the Ministerial Council which stated that the Arabs are ready to "provide all means of political and material support" to the opposition. The sources said that this decision allows the supply of weapons.
Meanwhile, a Jordanian newspaper reported that the leader of the Muslim Brotherhood in the kingdom, Dr. Hammam Said, confirmed that fighting against the Syrian regime of President Bashar al-Assad is a "religious duty". He explained that this duty "requires the support of all Muslims to the free Syrian army.
- UN discusses Syrian draft regarding free-WMD region
- Arab league allows members to arm rebels and offers seat to opposition
- Iran blasts Arab League for handing platform to Syrian opposition
- Syrian opposition chief addreses Arab summit
- Syria: AL wants to increase pressure as CIA monitors arms supply to rebels