Arab Students Burn Israeli Flag in Karachi
Around 100 Arab students at a protest demonstration in Karachi Tuesday torched the Israeli flag to condemn the killings of scores of Palestinians by Israeli forces, witnesses said.
The students, mostly Palestinians studying in this Pakistani port city, gathered outside the Karachi Press Club.
The participants, who included masked Palestinians, chanted: "Down with Israel" and "Long live the Palestinian struggle."
They lauded the Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat.
The rally was organized by the General Union of Palestinian Students to protest the killings of more than 50 people, mostly Palestinians, during the violence in east Jerusalem and the Gaza Strip.
"Why the International community is silent over the crime against humanity committed by the Israeli forces," Abul Islam, a Palestinian student said.
"I appeal to the Muslim world to take part in the holy war against the Zionist forces," he told the rally.
Pakistan has condemned the violence, warning that it could wreck the Middle East peace process.
The country's fundamentalist party, Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam (JUI), called for demonstrations against the United Stated and Israel on Friday -- KARACHI (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Demonstrators Burn Israeli Flag, Call for Expulsion of Ambassador in Amman
- Indonesians Burn Israeli, US Flags to Protest Violence in West Bank, Gaza
- Palestinian Refugees Burn UN Flag, Urge Arab Summit to Isolate Israel
- Palestinians Torch Israeli, US Flags to Mark Symbolic Independence Day
- Israeli soldiers burn Palestinian flag at checkpoint