Arab Summit to allow countries to arm the Syrian opposition, leaked document reveals
The Arab Summit, which will convene in Doha today, is expected to issue resolutions giving the right to any country to arm the Free Syrian Army.
In a draft resolution obtained by The Jordan Times, the Arab Summit also called for peaceful transfer of power and recognizes the Syrian National Coalition as the sole legitimate representative of the Syrian people.
It also paves the way for efforts to reconstruct Syria after two years of war that ravaged the country and calls for holding an international conference for the reconstruction of the country.
Syria is represented in the summit by SNC leader Moaz al Khatib, who was expected to address the summit later Tuesday.
The summit, which is marked by the absence of several Arab leaders, will shed light on the Syrian crisis, the peace process and several issues in the region.
- Iran blasts Arab League for handing platform to Syrian opposition
- Arab Leaders Expected to Adopt Moderate Resolutions at Summit
- Arab league allows members to arm rebels and offers seat to opposition
- Britain considers breaking EU embargo to arm Syrian rebels
- Syria crisis to be addressed at Arab-African summit