Arafat Meets Mubarak Amid New Peace Drive
Palestinian President Yasser Arafat met Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak on Wednesday in Alexandria a day after US President Bill Clinton visited Egypt to try and find ways to bridge the gaps between Israel and the Palestinians, reported Reuters.
Mubarak was expected to brief Arafat on his talks with Clinton, who said time was running short to achieve peace. The two sides have been working to reach a final agreement by September 13th.
Mubarak's advisor Osama al-Baz said Tuesday that Mubarak had explained to Clinton what it considered the Palestinians would and would not accept.
An aide to Arafat told reporters late Tuesday that his meeting with Mubarak would be crucial, but gave no details, said Reuters.
Meanwhile, AFP reported Wednesday that Mubarak had discussed the peace process by telephone with Saudi Crown Prince Crown Prince Abdullah, and had briefed him on his talks with Clinton - (Several Sources)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Mubarak Meets Chirac, Warns Time is Short for Middle East Peace
- Arafat to Meet Mubarak, amid Expectations Israel Will Scrap Truce
- Diplomatic Drive Continues to Restore Middle East Peace Process
- US Leads Fresh Drive to Bolster Mideast Truce, Tenet to Meet Mubarak
- Arafat Meets US Peace Envoys, Calls Spanish PM amid Escalating Conflict