Arafat Orders Probe of Prisoner’s Death
Palestinian President Yasser Arafat has ordered an inquiry into the death of a prisoner in Palestinian police custody, reported the official Palestinian news agency, WAFA.
AFP said that Sulaiman Abu Amra’s fate was revealed by human rights groups.
It said a committee would look into the circumstances surrounding the death of Abu Amr, who was arrested earlier in the month in Gaza City.
Two Palestinian rights groups announced Wednesday that Abu Amr had died of a heart attack while in the custody of Palestinian military intelligence.
One of the groups said the victim had been denied the chance to meet with his family while in custody.
The Jerusalem Post said Abu Amra was arrested on charges of collaborating with Israel.
The Post said he was the second inmate to die in Palestinian military intelligence custody in the past six months – Albawaba.com
- Thousands of prisoners on hunger strike after Palestinian prisoner dies in Israeli custody
- Six Palestinians Sentenced to Death For Collaborating With Israel
- Palestinian governor of Jerusalem held by Israel
- Palestinian investigators: Israel only suspect in Arafat's death
- Palestinian Dies of Heart Problems at Israeli Checkpoint in Gaza, as Israel Mounts More Incursions