Australia: US soon to declare victory in Iraq war
The United States and its allies will declare victory in the war in Iraq in the next few days, Australia said on Sunday.
The U.S. military have already signaled the end of the fighting stage of the war in Baghdad by starting to pull Marines out of the capital and replace them with U.S. Army troops better equipped to tackle the reconstruction of the Iraqi capital.
"There's just some tidying up going on in relation to the final proclamation," Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer told Australia's Seven Network television.
"Obviously it has to be absolutely accurate legally. It also has to be a proclamation that strikes the right political tone," Downer said. "But it will happen in the next few days."
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- FM: Australia likely to dispatch troops to UN mission in Sudan
- Foreign minister: Australian troops play '\'key role'\' in Iraq
- Iraq: US marine, four Iraqis killed as Japan praises Australia decision to dispatch additional troops
- Australian Prime Minister: No “blank check” for United States on Iraq
- Australia will help in rehabilitation of Iraq