Baath Party Proposes Bashar for Syrian Presidency
The leadership of Syria's ruling Baath party has proposed 34-year-old Bashar Assad to succeed his father Hafez Assad as president, and parliament will meet June 25 to consider him, a Syrian official told AFP.
The party leadership decided to propose Bashar late Saturday, only hours after his father died at the age of 69 after ruling Syria for 30 years.
Earlier, the parliament had met in special session to amend the constitution, lowering the minimum age for a presidential candidate from 40 to 34 – DAMASCUS (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- 53 die in bombing near Assad’s party HQ as the enemy draws closer to the gates
- Syrian Baath Elects New Regional Command, Bashar Secretary General
- Assad's Baath party in leadership shake up
- Syria's Political Leaders Pledge Support to Bashar's Candidacy at Baath Congress
- Syrian Baath party to ease grip on political life