Arresting and attacking Bahrain's opposition won't help, activists say
Bahrain’s main opposition bloc says attacking and arresting pro-democracy protesters will “only complicate the situation” in the country.
Scores of Bahrainis have been killed and hundreds injured and jailed by the regime forces since the uprising broke out in the tiny Persian Gulf kingdom in 2011.
Earlier this week, Sayed Hadi al-Mousawi, the head of Liberties and Human Rights Department at al-Wefaq said that 228 houses had been raided and as many as 187 arrests had been made by Bahraini forces during March 2014.
”These raids, arrests, and violations that the authorities are committing against the citizens, will only complicate the situation. The people’s demands and determination for democracy will remain,” al-Wefaq National Islamic Society said in a statement released on Tuesday.
On Monday, Bahraini security forces attacked anti-regime protesters in the area of Aali and arrested 12 citizens. In a similar incident on the same day, seven other citizens were arrested in the area of Musala, west of the capital Manama.
Bahraini uprising started in mid-February 2011. On March 13 that year, forces from Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates were dispatched to the country at Manama’s request to quell nationwide protests.
Last month, Amnesty International denounced the “relentless repression” of anti-regime protesters in the tiny Persian Gulf kingdom, blaming Bahraini security forces for their repeated use of “excessive force to quash anti-government protests.”
On February 14, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon called on the Bahraini regime to respect its “international human rights obligations” in dealing with peaceful protests in the country.