Ballots Open for Syrians to vote on Bashar Assad’s Presidency
By Nabil Al Mulhem
About 11,000 polling stations opened in Damascus at 07:00 a.m (0400 GMT) Monday for 9.4 million voters to endorse Bashar al-Assad as the 16th Syria president, succeeeding his late father, Hafez.
On the ballot slip, voters have to check a green box for yes, or a gray one for no, if they do not approve of Assad as the new ruler.
The day-long referendum, according to the constitution, is the last step taken before Assad rises officially to power – Albawaba.com
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Syrian Parliament Endorses Referendum on Assad
- Over 97% of Syrian voters back Bashar Assad for new seven-year mandate
- Preparations for Syria’s National Referendum to be Announced Thursday
- Observers Expect Tlas to Become Syria’s President as Caretaker
- Syrians Vote for Bashar Assad's Presidential Nomination Monday