Ben Eliezer Claims Escaped Assassination Attempt by Palestinians
Israeli Defense Minister Binyamin Ben Eliezer said he had recently been targeted for an attack, which was foiled by the Israeli internal security service, Shin Beth, army radio reported Saturday.
"For me, it was a great surprise, but nobody had ever thought for a single second that I would be sheltered (from attack), and Shin Beth foiled the attempt," the minister said.
"As defense minister, I am on the front line and represent a special target for our 'friends," he said without giving further details, as quoted by AFP.
According to army radio, the attack was foiled a few weeks ago.
On October 17, Israeli Tourism Minister Rehavam Zeevi was shot dead in a hotel in Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem by a commando from the radical Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, one of the members of the Palestine Liberation Organization.
The Return Vanguards, a splinter group of the mainstream Fateh faction, said last week that it had attempted to kill Israeli chief of staff Shaul Mofaz, by detonating a roadside bomb while his motorcades passed in the West Bank.
Mofaz was not hurt in the attack, a statement said – Albawaba.com
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Investigators Believe Hotel Workers Helped Zeevi Assassins
- Palestinian Sniper Targets Israel’s Defense Chief
- Hamas Claims Responsibility for Erez Suicide Attack, Fateh for Attempt on Mofaz’s Life
- Hawkish Israeli Minister In Critical Condition after Assassination Attempt Claimed by PFLP
- PFLP Leader Threatens More Assassinations of Israeli Politicians