Berlusconi proposes to hold international conference on the Middle East in Sicily
Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi Wednesday stated that as president of the European Union he would propose an international conference on the Middle East, to take place in Sicily.
Berlusconi, who last month refused to meet with the Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat during his tour in the Middle East, said his presidency would support the Middle East "road map" in order to "work out a timetable and the means for the launching of an international peace conference."
He was quoted as telling European parliamentarians that the EU had to form a more trusting relationship with Israel, while helping fortify the Palestinian economy. Berlusconi made this speech to lay out the priorities of Italy's six-month presidency of the EU. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Storm Clouds Gather Over Berlusconi After Gaffes, Legislation
- Iran to Hold another Pro-Palestine Conference in October
- Conference to “Bridge the Gap” Between Islamic World and the West Begins in Istanbul; Mideast Peace Plan High on Agenda
- Rendezvous with Sicily in Tunisia
- Full text of Middle East ''road map''