Berri: Syria to Redeploy its Forces in Lebanon
Syria plans to carry out a redeployment of its troops in Lebanon "very soon, to conform with the (1989) Taef accord," Lebanese parliamentary speaker Nabih Berri said Friday.
"The Syrian brothers began a redeployment last April, and that redeployment will continue very soon," Nasrallah said after a meeting with the Maronite Christian partriarch, Cardinal Nasrallah Sfeir.
"The leaders of the two countries will meet very soon to determine where the Syrian army will be redeployed, to conform with the Taef accord," he said.
The Taef agreement put an end to the 1975-1990 Lebanese civil war -- BKERKE (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Press: Syrian Troop Redeployment will Improve Relations with Lebanon
- Senior Official: Syria Denies Meeting with Lebanon on Troop Redeployment
- Lebanese Cardinal Says Cautiously Satisfied about Syrian Troop Shift
- Syria Pulls out Hundreds of Troops from Beirut
- Syrian Withdrawal Leaves Lebanon’s Maronites Upbeat