Egypt court backs 11 death sentences over Port Said Stadium massacre
Egypt has sentenced on Tuesday 11 people to death in the retrial of the Port Said Stadium massacre case. (AFP/File)
Egypt has sentenced on Tuesday 11 people to death, including one in absentia, in the retrial of the Port Said Stadium massacre case.
Ten defendants received 15-year sentences, 14 received 10-year sentences, and 15 received five-year sentences.
Former head of Port Said security directorate Essam Samak and head of the maritime police in the coastal city of Port Said, Mohamed Saad, were among the 15 defendants who received five-year sentences.
Masry Club official Mohsen Shata was also sentenced to five years in prison.
Court exonerated 20 defendants.
The verdicts still can be appealed.
Seventy-three defendants had been accused of killing 74 Ahly football club fans during a game in Port Said city in February 2012 between Ahly and Port Said's Masry club.
- Qatar court sentences five defendants to prison over Villaggio fire
- Egypt sentences 17 to prison over Port Said case
- Top Egyptian court upholds death sentence for ten involved in Port Said Stadium massacre
- 11 sentenced to death in Port Said stadium massacre trial
- Egypt: Death sentences in Port Said case