British embassy: Suspicious object under car in Riyadh - - not a bomb
The British embassy in Riyadh said Wednesday that a suspicious object found under a Briton's car in the Saudi capital on June 30 was not an explosive device.
"We have now received confirmation from the Saudi authorities that this was a false alarm," the embassy said in an advice to British nationals in the Saudi kingdom posted on its website, according to AFP.
"The material was debris which had been picked up by the undercarriage of the vehicle whilst driving," the embassy added. But, the embassy advised citizens to remain alert on personal safety and in checking vehicles.
The US and British embassies in Riyadh called upon their citizens Monday to stay vigilant after an explosive device was found under an American's car, and the suspicious object under the Briton's vehicle.
The US embassy said Saudi police removed the device under the American's car, discovered on June 29, without incident. The British embassy said the object was attached to the personal vehicle of a British resident of Al-Nakheel Residence Compound, where British banker Simon Veness was killed in a car bomb explosion on June 20. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)