Building collapse kills at least eight in Dubai
At least eight construction workers were killed and 19 others were injured when the roof of a building under construction at the site of the Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA)'s 'K station' in Jebel Ali caved in Sunday morning.
The search was on last night for five missing workers believed to be buried under the weight of heavy steel frames while five of the injured were in critical condition, Khaleej Times reported. The construction site was a DEWA power plant in the phase two of the 'K station' near Jebel Ali's Dubal plant.
Ambulances were rushed to the site of the accident to evacuate the wounded while police and civil defence personnel and paramedics launched an intensive search-and-rescue operation. Sources told Gulf News the search was hampered because nobody knew how many people were at the site. "There are four different companies involved," one source said.
The authorities have set up a high-level committee to investigate the cause of the incident in collaboration with construction and contracting firms and relevant departments. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Extremely Brave EMS Paramedics Honoured by HMC
- Jebel Ali power station roof collapses
- At least six construction workers killed after building collapsed in the UAE
- At Least Eight Killed in Shopping Center Collapse
- At least eight dead in ceiling collapse in construction site at Dubai International Airport