Burns meets Abu Mazen in Ramallah
U.S. Middle East envoy William Burns met Monday with Palestinian Authority Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas (Abu Mazen) in the West Bank city of Ramallah.
Accompanying Abu Mazen were PA cabinet ministers Saeb Erekat and Nabil Sha'ath. The meeting followed talks earlier on Monday between Burns and the speaker of the Palestinian Legislative Council, Ahmed Qureia (Abu Ala).
Israel's Prime Minister Ariel Sharon told Burns Sunday that the new Palestinian Premier must work to dismantle the "terrorist" infrastructure in the West Bank and Gaza Strip. Israeli sources confirmed Sunday that Sharon would meet new Palestinian Prime Minister Abu Mazen next week.
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Report: Efforts to schedule meeting between Sharon, Abu Mazen
- Abu Mazen demands significant powers as Palestinian PM
- PFLP calls PLC to reject new Palestinian cabinet; Palestinians, Israeli soldiers wounded in West Bank
- US urges Israel to ease up on Palestinians; Sharon, Abu Mazen to meet after Powell visit
- US envoy to meet Israeli Prime Minister to discuss ''roadmap''