Bus attack in Israel: at least 17 Israelis killed; Islamic Jihad claims responsibility
A powerful car bomb exploded near a bus in northern Israel early Wednesday, killing at least 17 people and seriously wounding at least 10 others. Israel Radio reported that an 18th body had been found, saying it may have been that of the suicide bomber that drove the car.
The incident occurred near the Afula-area Megiddo junction, scene of a number of past Palestinian attacks.
The military wing of the Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility for the attack. The group said the assailant was from the area of Jenin in the West Bank. The name of the attacker would not be released for fear of Israeli reprisals against the family, the Islamic Jihad said.
Israel's Prime Minister Ariel Sharon was to convene his security cabinet Wednesday morning to discuss Israel's response to the attack, one of the more serious incidents in recent months. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Islamic Jihad Claims Responsibility for Suicide Bombing Attack on Israeli Bus: At Least Seven Israelis Killed
- Bus bombing in Israel: At least 14 killed, Islamic Jihad claims attack; Bush, Arafat condemn
- At least 17 Lebanese killed in Israeli attacks
- Islamic Jihad Claims Responsibility for Killing Two Israelis in Bus Attack
- Bus bombing in Jerusalem kills at least 20 people; Islamic Jihad, Hamas claim attack