Camel Beauty Contest Held
A unique camel beauty contest, the first of its kind in the UAE, was held in Abu Dhabi on Thursday with Dh 100,000 and other trophies given out, according to Emirates News Agency.
Faraj bin Hamouda, member of the National Consultative Council (FNC), stated that the competition’s goal was to honor the respect and love the UAE people have for camels. In a statement regarding the joyful event, Faraj said that the camel was the best companion of the UAE people during their hard life prior to the oil era.
Moreover, another objective of the tournament was to instill the value and status the camel had enjoyed throughout the UAE in the minds of the younger generation. The contest was held in four different categories; adults, individuals, youngsters below 2 years and the camel studs.
The first prize of Dh 7000 for adult camels was won by Mattar bin Hamad bin Anouda, while Mabkhout Eid Al Manhali won Dh 7000 for his camel in the framework of the individual contest. The first prize of camels younger than 2 years of age went to Omran Mussalem Al Manhali who received Dh 6000 and a dagger. Ahmed Saif Al Manhali also won the first prize of Dh 4000 and a cup for his camel in the camel studs competition. (Albawaba.com)
- Suicide camel program planned to fend off US invasion
- Catwalk like a camel: Egypt gets the hump over success of camel beauty contest
- Beauty of the beast: camels compete in beauty contest in Saudi Arabia
- That's one hot chick! Saudi farmers prepare for chicken beauty contest
- Salalah Tourism Festival 2011 to feature diverse activities