Car bombing attack kills at least nine Iraqis in Mosul
A car bomb went off Saturday outside a police station in Iraq's third largest city, killing at least nine people and injuring 45, witnesses and hospital sources said.
Staff at the Republican Hospital in Mosul said nine people including civilians and policemen were killed and 45 others were injured.
According The AP, Saturday was a pay day and the police station was crowded with staff at the time of the midmorning bombing, said police Lt. Mohammed Fadil.
A U.S. military spokesman said: "We are aware of a report of an IED (improvised explosive device) or a car bomb that exploded near the Mosul police station this morning."
Qatar-based Al-Jazeera television network said no American soldiers were in the vicinity at the time of the blast.
Some witnesses said it appeared that a car drove through a security barricade in front of the police station before exploding outside the building.
One policeman testified the explosion was so huge that there were casualties not only on the street but also inside the building. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Mosul car bomb explosion kills at least nine as three US soldiers killed in roadside blast near Kirkuk
- Car bomb outside Iraqi police station kills at least 10 as Rumsfeld pays surprise visit to Iraq
- At least nine killed in bomb attacks around Baghdad
- Five Iraqis wounded in Baghdad attack as US soldier killed in rocket attack; At least nine Iraqis killed in Najaf, Kufa
- At least eight killed in Baghdad bombing as clashes reoprted in Basra, Mosul