Casablanca blasts: Scores of Islamists arrested
Radical Islamists were the prime suspects Sunday for suicide bomb attacks in Morocco which killed 41 people Friday night.
In a series of raids, Moroccan police arrested 33 suspects Saturday, including some linked to the radical Djihad Salafist group, a senior government official said, according to Reuters.
One of the group's main spiritual leaders was jailed earlier this month for inciting violence.
Moroccan Interior Minister Al Mustapha Sahel said the investigation "points to a group that has been arrested recently," an apparent reference to Djihad Salafist.
The minister told state-run on 2M television that police had identified the bodies of seven terrorists believed to have carried out the five almost simultaneous attacks.
Thirteen assailants perished, another was critically-ill.
Three French nationals, two Spaniards and an Italian were reported killed in the attack.
"What happened in Casablanca is the work of international terrorism on which Morocco is determined to clamp down without mercy or qualms," said on Saturday spokesman of the Royal palace, Hassan Aourid.
The spokesman said in a statement broadcast on Moroccan TV "the criminal acts will not sap Morocco's determination to shield itself from the risks of extremism and violence which threaten the security and integrity of citizens." "It is committed to guarantee security and tranquility, as well as tolerance between all sons of the nation, irrespective of their faiths," he said. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)