Cellular users in Iraq, Libya and Pakistan bought 16 million cellular handsets in 2009
Arab Advisors Group has launched new research services covering the Mobile Handsets Retail Markets. Arab Advisors Group Mobile Handsets Retail Tracking research provides timely insights into the dynamics of the Mobile Handsets Retail Markets in Iraq, Libya, Pakistan and, for the first time, Afghanistan.
Building on nine years of experience in successfully researching the MENA telecoms markets, Arab Advisors Group is pleased to announce its new research services covering the Mobile Handsets Retail Markets and expanding to reach Afghanistan and Pakistan.
Arab Advisors Mobile Handsets Retail Tracking Reports will be available for delivery by end of December, covering the 2009 sales figures in 6 cities in central, southern and northern Iraq and 8 major cities in Libya. Additionally, Mobile Handsets Retail Tracking Reports covering 6 cities in Afghanistan and 12 cities in Pakistan will be available by January 2010. With Arab advisors Group being the first to cover Afghanistan’s mobile handsets retail market.
Expectedly, the research has revealed that Pakistan is the largest mobile handsets market of the four countries. In terms of handset models, the research has revealed that Nokia is the market leader in Iraq with varying performance depending on region and with serious competition from fake Chinese brands and other brands. In Libya, Nokia remains the market leader with noticeable and serious competition by Samsung, the traditional Korean competitor. Nokia is also the number one selling brand in the Pakistani market.
Arab Advisors Mobile Handsets Retail Tracking Reports have the following forms:
• Rolling Reports: Year-to-date market trends observed in these reports show the market performance vis-à-vis the sales volume and value of the total market distributed among the different manufacturers/vendors. Additionally, Rolling Reports cover market growth, availability and shop turnover share.
• Reports Classified by price: These monthly reports show market concentration according to price classes and the distribution of the different market players across these classes.
• Headline Reports: In these monthly updates, the total market is reported in terms of sales units, sales value in local currency and USD, availability, shop turnover share and average selling price in local currency and USD.
• Model-Level Reports: The total market is presented in these monthly updates at the model level, tracking the performance of each brand by model in terms of sales quantities, model unit share, value share, selling price and performance.
Arab Advisors Group’s Mobile Handsets Retail Tracking Reports are based on monthly and weekly interviews with a carefully recruited panel of shops (300 in Iraq, 160 in Libya, 780 in Pakistan and 150 in Afghanistan) representative of the total mobile handsets retail universe in each country. Total market data is then reported as a result of panel data extrapolation using scientific methodology based on market facts. This provides an understanding of the total market in terms of volume and revenue, as well as a clear picture of the positioning and performance of the different market players. Additionally, the results provide a detailed analysis from the overall brand and model level performance and ranking represented graphically. The data collection process is subject to Arab Advisors Group’s standard rigorous quality control checks.
- Iraq replaces Jordan as the Arab World’s most competitive cellular market
- 89.8% of Lebanon’s GSM users report using SMS; amongst the young, SMS use increases to close to 96%.
- More content aggregators enter the mobile market in the Arab World as mobile operators increase their focus on VAS and content
- jordan’s effective mobile penetration rate is less than two thirds the conventional figures!
- Arab cellular lines grew by 17% in the first nine months of 2009