Central Iraq: One US soldier dies, another wounded
An American soldier died Friday in a traffic accident close to the central Iraqi town of Balad, the U.S. military command said.
The soldier was from Task Force Ironhorse, a 30,000-strong unit that started leaving Iraq this week after almost a year in the country, the command said, according to The AP.
The accident brings to 546 the number of American service members who have died since the war in Iraq began March 20.
In the same region, a bomb blast wounded at least one US soldier travelling in a convoy.
A US military helicopter evacuated the Fourth Infantry Division (4ID) soldier after a roadside explosion hit his convoy just south of Balad, Major Douglas Babb told AFP. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Another US soldier killed in Iraq as Chalabi says Saddam seen north of Baghdad
- Seven die in yet another day of Iraq violence
- Two US soldiers die in Iraq; Explosion kills three in attempt to assassinate important Shiite cleric
- U.S. General: 30,000 soldiers to leave Iraq by next year
- Iraq: Two US troops die, four British soldiers wounded