Cerner To Provide Academic Education Solution to Higher College of Technology to Prepare Future Emirati Healthcare Professionals for Jobs
To better prepare future healthcare Emiratis for job success in the new era of digitized healthcare environments, the Higher College of Technology will implement the Cerner Academic Education Solution (AES). The Cerner AES incorporates health information technology (HIT) into the college’s curriculum and prepares students for success in digital healthcare by building a proficiency in HIT before they enter the workforce. Cerner will provide the solution for the next three years to improve adoption of electronic health records (EHRs) in the U.A.E. Currently, six of the seven U.A.E. emirates have health systems using Cerner™ solutions to standardize care and increase patient safety by driving variance of practice out of the system.
“This very important partnership with Cerner, a leader in its field of healthcare solutions, again shows the standing of the HCT’s health science programs, which are aimed to produce highly qualified and work-ready graduates able to meet the challenges and needs of the UAE,” said HCT Vice Chancellor Dr Tayeb Kamali.
More than 600 students and 70 staff at the Higher Colleges of Technology will use the Cerner AES to integrate informatics into curricula with real EHR experience. The Cerner AES is the only full clinical information system adapted to support healthcare curricula and classroom instruction. Institutions can use the Cerner AES to simulate patient scenarios through case studies to support course objectives, teaching and learning. Student clinicians can work through every area of patient assessment, care planning, reviewing and documenting patient information and monitoring outcomes as they would in a real-world setting. Key educational benefits for students using the AES include:
• Increased proficiency in HIT -- skills will be easily applied to future jobs after graduation because of students’ previous exposure to EHRs and clinical workflows;
• Improved decision making capabilities -- embedded knowledge and support tools are built into the solution, for example, links to research on the Web to support evidence based care decisions;
• Strengthened clinical knowledge -- real world scenarios that guide students in developing critical thinking skills and building their medical terminology vocabulary; and
• Increased preparedness -- educational curricula evolves so that each generation is well prepared to enter the electronic paperless workplace already having been exposed to the latest technology.
“Improving education and the health of the residents of the U.A.E. through the use of technology are core elements of the mission of the government of the U.A.E. and Cerner,” said Rich Berner, vice president and general manager Cerner Middle East. “We are pleased to partner with the Higher College of Technology and provide this solution as we believe our AES solution will help healthcare providers, future clinicians and Cerner achieve our collective mission in the U.A.E.”
- Injazat to groom future Emirati ICT talents via MoU with Higher Colleges of Technology
- Emirati students protecting future generations
- Building partnerships to better prepare Emirati youth for the workplace
- More than 400 jobs offered to Dubai Higher Colleges of Technology students and graduates at Employers’ Day
- UAE’s Higher College of Technology implements Ethernet solution