Chief UN investigator delays Syria visit
Chief UN investigator into the assassination of former Lebanese Premier, Rafik Hariri, Detlev Mehlis, will not be able to visit Damascus on Saturday Sept. 10, an official source at Syrian Foreign Ministry announced Friday. "Mehlis has informed Syria's permanent representative to the UN that he will not be able to come to Damascus tomorrow and he proposed Monday Sept. 12 instead," according to the state-run Syrian news agency SANA.
In Syria, Mehlis is due to interrogate five senior Syrian intelligence officers - Gen. Asef Shawkat, Gen. Ghazi Kanaan and Brig. Gens. Rustom Ghazaleh, Mohammed Khallouf and Jameh Jameh.
- Hariri killing: Six senior Syrian officers summoned for interrogation
- Hariri assassination: Chief U.N. investigator ”optimistic” about Syrian cooperation
- Hariri's killing: Investigating of senior Syrian officials to start
- Mehlis sure Syria behind Hariri killing
- Hariri assassination: Syria vows to cooperate with UN investigation committee