China to Deport US Academic 'Spy'
A court in the Chinese capital, Beijing, has found American Professor Li Shaomin guilty of espionage and ordered him to be deported, according to CNN.com.
Li, an American citizen of Chinese origin, was one of five Chinese-born intellectuals with US ties arrested by Chinese police this year.
The ruling was made by the Beijing No.1 Intermediate People's Court in a trial held Saturday morning, said the report.
A professor at the City University in Hong Kong, Li was charged with spying for Taiwan.
China's Xinhua news agency quoted the court as saying "large number of evidences produced show that Li accepted tasks from a Taiwan spy organization and collected information for it, which harmed state security of China.” – Albawaba.com
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- China Truck Driver on Trial for Murder of 14 Prostitutes
- Chinese Judge Says WTO Rules to Take Precedence in Litigation
- China Says Convicted US Scholar Reflects Stepped-Up Taiwan Espionage
- US Resident Jailed as Spy in China for Exposing Falungong Crackdown
- Powell Says Movement on Several US Scholars Detained in China