Chirac:U.N. should decide on Iraqi government
French President Jacques Chirac told British Prime Minister Tony Blair on Saturday the United Nations should be charged with putting in place a new Iraqi government, a spokeswoman at the Elysee Palace said.
Chirac called Blair to inform him of his discussions with German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder and Russian President Vladimir Putin after talks between the three leaders in Saint Petersburg, Russia.
"The political, administrative, economic and social reconstruction of Iraq can only be done by the United Nations, which has the legitimacy and experience necessary for the task," Chirac told Blair, according to the spokeswoman. "This is particularly true for the putting in place of an Iraqi government." (Albawaba.com)
- British PM Blair Arrives in Paris for Talks With Chirac
- Chirac tells Blair: France ready to compromise on Iraq
- Suicide bomber injures two US troops in Iraq; France, Germany oppose US proposal on reconstruction
- After meeting Blair, Chirac still opposes military action against Iraq
- France, Germany stand firm against new Iraq resolution