CIA blocks plan to issue new warnings to Syria regarding WMD development
The Central Intelligence Agency and other American agencies blocked a Bush administration plan to deliver sharp new warnings this week about Syria's attaempts to develop unconventional weapons, according to U.S. government officials, The New York Times reported Friday.
The CIA and the other agencies raised strong objections to testimony that John R. Bolton, an undersecretary of state, had planned to present Tuesday to Congress.
The hearing was postponed, and congressional officials and other government officials said one reason was the dispute over Bolton's plan to declare in a classified portion of his testimony that Syria's development of chemical and biological weapons had progressed to the point that they posed a threat to stability in the Middle East.
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Top US Official accuses Syria of developing nuclear, biological weapons
- US under secretary of state: Syria should give up WMD programs
- U.S. warns: Syria, Libya to be included in “axis of evil''
- High-ranking Iraqi prisoners: Iraq has no WMD
- Movements at Syria's chemical weapons site are disturbing, say officials