CIA blocks plan to issue new warnings to Syria regarding WMD development
The Central Intelligence Agency and other American agencies blocked a Bush administration plan to deliver sharp new warnings this week about Syria's attaempts to develop unconventional weapons, according to U.S. government officials, The New York Times reported Friday.
The CIA and the other agencies raised strong objections to testimony that John R. Bolton, an undersecretary of state, had planned to present Tuesday to Congress.
The hearing was postponed, and congressional officials and other government officials said one reason was the dispute over Bolton's plan to declare in a classified portion of his testimony that Syria's development of chemical and biological weapons had progressed to the point that they posed a threat to stability in the Middle East.
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- CIA Boss: U.S. Faces Dangers Beyond al Qaeda; Iran and Iraq Pursuing Weapons of Mass Destruction
- Jordan’s King Abdullah warns of IS threat against Muslims
- Iraq PM: Bahrain crisis could lead to regional sectarian war
- CIA Report About New Missile Developments in Iraq, Iran, Syria & Libya
- Report: Russia Expected to Bow to US Pressures, Cancel Iran ‘Nukes’ Order