Clashes in Benghazi leave at least six soldiers dead
A Libyan soldier wounded from overnight clashes rests in his hospital bed on Saturday in Benghazi. AFP image
Click here to add AFP as an alert
Disable alert for AFP,
Click here to add army as an alert
Disable alert for army,
Click here to add Benghazi as an alert
Disable alert for Benghazi,
Click here to add First Infantry Brigade as an alert
Disable alert for First Infantry Brigade,
Click here to add Libyan army as an alert
Disable alert for Libyan army,
Click here to add Libya’s army as an alert
Disable alert for Libya’s army,
Click here to add Salem al-Konidi as an alert
Disable alert for Salem al-Konidi
Armed activists clashed with Libyan special forces in the eastern city of Benghazi early Saturday, killing at least six soldiers, the army reported.
The interim leader of Libya’s army warned of the danger of a “bloodbath” as the unrest in the city flared up again a week after clashes there killed more than 30 people.
Heavy gunfire and explosions could be heard near the headquarters of the special forces at around 4:00 am (0200 GMT), AFP news agency reported.
The Facebook page of the special forces said its members were exchanging light arms and rocket fire with an “outlaw” group and reported that two of its fighters had been wounded.
Then a little later it posted photos of three of its members and announced that they had been shot dead as they “were defending the legitimacy of the state with courage and honor.”
The clashes came just hours after dozens of protesters forced a brigade of former rebel fighters from their base in Benghazi on Friday evening.
The protesters had burned two vehicles belonging to the First Infantry Brigade, before moving on the barracks, said a Libyan army officer.
The brigade was forced to quit its headquarters as the protesters took it over.
A witness on site told AFP the protesters, some of whom were armed, had fired in the air and launched a rocket-propelled grenade at an external wall of the barracks, though nobody was hurt.
The brigade was set up by former rebel fighters who helped overthrow the regime of Muammar Qaddafi in 2011. It says it takes its orders from the defense ministry.
Following that first attack, Salem al-Konidi, the interim head of the army said on the Al-Aseema television channel late Friday: “If the special forces are attacked, there will be a bloodbath.
“There could be a catastrophe in Benghazi.”
But he said he did not know who had launched the attack or what their motive was, appealing to the city’s elders and dignitaries to act to try to head off the unrest.