Clashes between Turkish forces, Kurdish militants leave at least two dead
Two Kurdish guerrillas were killed and nine Turkish soldiers were wounded on Friday during clashes in Turkey's southeast, local media reported.
Fighting was still raging between the Turkish military and scores of Turkish Kurdish militants in the mountain terrain of Turkey's Batman province, some 80 kms from the border with Iraq, news channel CNN Turk said.
Ankara has been hunting hundreds of Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) guerrillas it says are returning from northern Iraq to Turkey after the U.S.-led war toppled Saddam Hussein this year. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Fighting between Turkish troops and Kurdish militants leave three dead
- 12 Turkish troops killed as pressure on government growing
- Northern Iraq: Scores of Turkish soldiers, Kurdish fighters die
- US troops clash with Turkish Kurdish rebels in northern Iraq
- Iraqi Kurds Accuse Turkish Warplanes of Killing 38 Civilians